Thursday, August 5, 2010

[ELTeCS_PERU] Impressions on the ELT PERU Networks conference

We have received this text, written by a teacher who attended the latest ELT PERU Networks event and have decided to share it with you all.


Here are my impressions on the ELT_PERU NETWORKS CONFERENCE in Lima on the 2nd and 3rd of July. I really enjoyed it: it was carefully planned and organized, the topics were both interesting and relevant, and the speakers were first-class.

On Friday I enjoyed listening to Andrew Sheehan in “Training the Trainers”. I had already attended another (longer) event on the same topic two years ago, and this was an appropriate complement to it. Andrew always has interesting information to share with ELT teachers, and his vision on the changing world of ELT, which he gave us both Friday and Saturday was certainly enlightening. It will influence my approach to teaching, the materials I will use, and even the materials I’ll purchase in the future.

On Saturday, I enjoyed every speech I attended. Maria Esther Linares talked about and presented to us her experiences in the mentoring program she organized at her school, and it gave me useful ideas to share with the staff in charge of the mentoring program at the institution I work for. Leo Marín gave us great tips about how to deal with adolescents in class. Carol Milk de Reyes had interesting insights about English as a global language. In fact, after I listened to her talk, I had the opportunity to read more about the topic. Norma Bustamante's description of how ELT has changed in Peru gave me an idea of how much we have progressed in the field since my arrival in Peru , and made me reflect on how I have changed and improved my way of teaching during all these years. I also appreciated Graeme Hodgson’s information about the services provided by the British Council.

The ELT_PERU NETWORKS CONFERENCE gave me food for thought, updated my information on the field, even made me feel proud to see how far we, English teachers, have come along in this fast-changing field. We always manage to be aware of the latest developments and try them out.

María G. de Casós

No comments:

Post a Comment